Whether you’re a working mom or a stay at home mom, or a little of both, I think we can all agree that momming is hard. We’re constantly worried about the daily parenting decisions we make. We just want the best for our children and finding a balance feels pretty impossible. Some days are better than others. Some days are extremely trying.
I haven’t figured out how to perfectly balance my life, but I’ve also figured out that I never will. There will always be a little give and take. When I’m a really good mom, I’m a really bad housekeeper. When I’m a really good cook, I’m really bad at loading the dishwasher afterwards. When I do my hair and make-up on the weekends, there’s a 110% chance my husband dressed and made the girls breakfast while I got myself ready. It’s impossible to do it ALL.
While staying home allows for more time with the kids, cleaning, cooking and all those other fun housewife things, it can be extremely taxing on oneself. It took me a while each time we added a kiddo to the mix, to really feel like I could still handle the stay-at-home-mom life. I’ve come up with a list of things that have helped me stay sane and really make a difference in each day.
Affiliate links are included in this post. Purchases made through these links provide a commission for this blog.
1. Wake up and get ready. Sleep is life, I know, but when I make myself get ready in the mornings, my day is always better. Shower, hair and make-up usually don’t all happen, but any of them is better than nothing. Even if I just throw some leggings back on after my shower, I still feel more like a human being after spending some time on myself.
2. Get out of the house. This one is crucial for me and my kids’ sanity. After about 2 days of being home, my kids turn into wild animals. Go to the park, have a picnic.. get some fresh air. I don’t always feel like leaving the house because sometimes it’s just nice to stay home, so cracking a window or opening back door and letting this kids play on the patio or back deck does the job on those days.
3. Put yourself in time-out. Take time for yourself. It’s harder than it sounds, trust me, I know. I have a 3 month old who exclusively breastfeeds. And I mean exclusively. My pump got packed up with the rest of our stuff in storage when we moved, so little man has never even had a bottle. So I never really get time completely alone, but even just a Target trip with one kid instead of three does wonders for my soul.
4. Find an outlet. Get a hobby. Craft, Write, Blog, Exercise.. whatever you’re passionate about and makes you feel good. Blogging has been a great way for me to get my thoughts out and destress.
5. Make a plan. Plan your day and plan your meals. Every couple of months I like to update a daily schedule for the kids and I. Planning out your meals for the week is also a great way to feel prepared for each day. Everything just runs a little smoother when you have everything you need and everyone seems to eat a little healthier that way, too.
6. Keep in touch with friends. With each baby I’ve had, I’ve crawled a little further into my shell each time and shut the world out. It’s just me and my kids. It can be great; I love my life, but it’s also very lonely. Add moving across the country to that and things are even harder. I call my mom daily and talk to my closest friends back home every few days. After I get off the phone, I instantly feel refreshed and my mood is much happier. I’m really looking forward to making some great friends here, too!
7. Give yourself grace. Most importantly, don’t be too hard on yourself. Realize that everyone’s house is a mess sometimes. Everyone’s kids are wild animals sometimes. No one has the perfect life or the perfect husband. We’re all just trying to do our best, so don’t compare yourself to other moms or perfectly set up pictures on Facebook and Instagram. You are amazing and you are doing enough. You have the best job in the world. This is just one season of life mama, so enjoy it because it goes by entirely too fast.
I have decided to start something called the “Lovely Little RoundUp” every Friday, where I’ll be sharing some of my favorite products, fashion, recipes & more from each week. For those of you who have subscribed to my mailing list, you’ll be receiving this roundup via email! So if you haven’t subscribed to the mailing list, you should!
I’ve got a sweet little Valentine’s Day gift guide hitting the blog this Friday! See you all then!