We Had A Baby & Moved To Vegas

Hey y’all. It’s been a while. Today’s post title sounds like total click bait, but it’s for real. We had and baby and then 3 weeks later, we moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. To say the last few weeks have been a whirlwind would be an understatement. I figured to get back into the swing of blogging, I’d share little life update and get everyone caught up.
First things first, I’m not pregnant anymore! And for that, I am so thankful. All of my pregnancies are pretty rough, and having three babies in 4 years pushed my body to it’s limits. Luckily, sweet baby Connor came a little early and boy did he make a grand entrance. The last few weeks I’ve taken a break from blogging and used every spare moment to hold our sweet baby boy.

Connor’s Birth Story

|| WARNING: if blood or labor/delivery details make you uncomfortable, skip over this section 🙂 ||

On October 15th, I had contractions off and on all day, just as I had been having for weeks. After my morning contractions had faded out as they usually did, I took a nap. (You got the kids, right Chris?) When I woke up around 8pm (Whoops! Thanks husband.), contractions started up again. They weren’t very painful, so I didn’t think too much of them, but I asked Chris to stay in the room and help me time them anyway. They were coming consistently but as soon as I would stand up, they would completely stop. So, so frustrating. This went on until almost 10pm. I laid back down and they started up again. After laying back down, thinking nothing was going to happen, I had two more mild contractions. Then, I felt what I thought was my water breaking. I was so excited because this meant it was time! I stood up and realized it was NOT my water breaking, but it was blood. I stood up and said, “Yep. It’s time to go!” Because even though it wasn’t my water breaking, I knew blood at any point in pregnancy was not normal. Without getting into too much detail, it kept happening over the next minute or so, and it was to the point that I told Chris to call 911. We decided to just go to the hospital ourselves, so he got the girls out of bed and in the car. (Not the ideal situation, obviously) and I texted my parents to meet us at the hospital.

In the car, my contractions started picking up but were still manageable. I googled the whole way there, trying to figure out why I would be bleeding so badly, but found no settling answers. I called the on-call number for my OB’s office and they said to go straight to the hospital, and I was like, duh!

Chris dropped me off at the emergency room entrance where I had planned on asking for help right away, but there was a line at the desk so I decided to just walk up to labor & delivery. After a long elevator ride up, I made it to the nurse’s station in l&d. By this time, I was hunched over in pain during each contraction. A super sweet nurse helped me to my delivery room and hooked me up to the monitors right away. As soon as she put the heartbeat monitor on my belly, there was Connor’s heartbeat. THANK GOODNESS. This was SUCH a relief. Next, the doctor came in and asked what was going on. I told her everything that had happened and she checked to see how dilated I was. 6 centimeters! I immediately asked the nurse when I’d be able to get an epidural. (My last two labors were fast and I had barely gotten my epidurals on time.) The nurse told me that as soon as my bag of saline had emptied, I could get the epidural. She started my iv and had it going as fast as possible. It felt like it was taking forever. My parents got to the hospital around this time and Chris was able to be in the room with me. Finally the iv was down to halfway empty. At this point, I was tossing and turning on the bed in pain. The nurse could see I was really uncomfortable and said she was going to ask the doctor if I could get the epidural early. The doctor came in and checked me again. 8 centimeters. She said yes to the epidural and the anesthesiologist was in my room within a few minutes.

Side note: In my right mind, I would know there was no point in getting an epidural at 8 centimeters. I had only been at the hospital for about 30 minutes by this time. My epidural had no chance at working in time, but I was desperate. This was NOT my birth plan. I had no idea how to breathe through contractions. I was tensing up and laying on my side with my head in the corner of the bed. The nurse was telling me to breathe “like I was blowing out a candle”. I tried my best, but I was a hot mess. Like on the movies when the woman is yelling and screaming and cussing at her husband. Not my best moment.

Anyway, the nurses had me sit on the side of the bed. The anesthesiologist introduced herself to me and I tried my best to be polite while wishing she would just stick that huge needed in my back already. She walked towards the cart to prepare the epidural. I could feel another contraction starting. They were coming less than every 60 seconds, so I barely had a break to rest in between each one. This contraction picked up fast and I started feeling an insane amount of pressure. I said, “NOPE.” and laid back down on the bed. I started yelling, “He’s coming out! I’m 10 centimeters! I know it! Help! Help! Help!” (Looking back, this is all hilarious.) I was curled up in pain and the nurses and doctor had to physically turn me on my back out of the fetal position. They held my legs up and out he came. Seriously. There was no pushing, no counting.. nothing. My body pushed him right out. It was crazy. He was here. He was perfect. He had a full head of hair and he was a whopping 9 lbs, 3 oz and 20 1/4 inches long. I was so glad he was ok after such a scary evening. I checked into the hospital at 10:35pm and he was born at 11:14pm. Good thing we didn’t wait on that ambulance.

Here is our sweet boy, Connor Ryan.

I always say this, but I don’t know what I did to deserve these little people. I’m also not sure how I’m ever supposed to be okay with not having more babies. They drive me crazy at times, but oh my goodness they steal my heart every single day and I want 10 more.

Our Big Move To Las Vegas, Nevada

My husband, Chris, got a new job near Las Vegas so about 4 days ago, we hopped on a one-way flight to Nevada. Having a newborn with two kids already at home just wasn’t enough ‘crazy’ for us. We’re always up for a challenge, so why not move 2300 miles across the country with a 3 year old, a 1 year old and a newborn. I actually don’t recommend it, ever. We had a 2 hour flight, followed by a 4 hour flight. Our 1 year old, Juliette, was a hot mess during the first flight. She opened and closed the window shade about 300 times while crying and fought a nap until the last 20 minutes. Go figure. We just couldn’t waaaiittt to see what she had in store for the 4 hour flight. Surprisingly she was much quieter, but didn’t nap at all. Neither did Ayva, our 3 year old, but she was a rockstar for both flights. So quiet and content; we were so proud of her. Connor napped through both flights, but ended up explosively pooping through his clothes less than an hour into the 4 hour flight. And of course, I was sitting between 2 sleeping men when this happened. I was also trying to discreetly breastfeed throughout the flight between these men. Juliette proceeded to pee and poop all over Chris during the same flight. So 2 out of 3 of our kids got off that plane half naked. I had extra clothes for them, but they were in the bag in the overhead bin. Rookie. Freaking. Move. I was so thankful this was a one-way flight. We are not ready to go through all of that again for a while.

Anyway, we’re officially in Las Vegas. We’re as settled as we can be for now. Our house is still for sale in Virginia as we are house hunting here in Nevada. Stressful. Chris’ new company is taking amazing care of us while we find a new house. They have us in a furnished town home and the girls love it. It really amazes me how go-with-the-flow they have been with everything lately. I definitely have my weak moments where I let the fear of the unknown out here overwhelm me and I just want to run back to Virginia as fast as possible. Then I see their happy faces and see that they are okay. We’re okay. Everything is okay. I need to make sure that they see this as a positive experience and not something that their mom is crying about every day. (postpartum hormones aren’t helping) The people out here are extremely friendly and everyone is so laid back. I really like it.

I had Chris drive down the strip the other day for me since I’ve never seen it. He’s been here before and even met Nicki Minaj one time. (NBD) No celebrity sitings for me, yet. We went during the day so it wasn’t as crazy as I expected. It’s definitely not an area we will be visiting very often because.. kids. I’ve heard from the locals here that they never go to the strip. Before coming here, I thought all Las Vegas had to offer was the strip, but that’s not the case at all. There are neighborhoods all over with beautiful parks and family activities. We’ve been exploring a ton already and I’ll be sharing some of that in future posts.

I never would have guessed this is where I’d be, but here we are! This experience is already pushing me out of my comfort zone and it’s like that saying, “Making a big life change is pretty scary, but you know what’s even scarier? Regret.” If we had turned down this opportunity and stayed in Virginia, though life would’ve still been great, I think we would always wonder what would have been. And if we end up hating it here, we can always move back to Virginia or start a new adventure somewhere else. 🙂

To be continued…

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like